Monday, January 2, 2012

Patchwork Table Runner

This is another one of the gifts I made this Christmas (how many am I at now?). This table runner was for my aunt and uncle who often give me gifts from Pier 1, so I was aiming for an "Ethnic" feel similar to what is sold there.

I cut 108 squares of various leftover fabrics (test me, I can tell you what project each of them came from), 5 cm x 5 cm (plus 1 cm seam allowance all around). I assembled strips of 6 squares, then sewed all the strips together.

The biggest problem I had was with the different levels of stretch each square had, since I used a variety of leftover fabrics including stretch velvet; I couldn't make my squares match up between strips.

Nonetheless, I made my entire table runner. Then I bag lined it with black cotton (another leftover). To make the patchwork hold nicely with the lining, I sewed a straight line of gold thread down each strip.

Finally, I hand sewed trim all around. The trim in question was tablet woven by yours truly usung 14 cards and a small tablet weaving loom. In fact, my loom only makes trim 150 cm long, so I needed 2 lengths to do the whole edge of the table runner.

I gave my gift to my aunt and uncle on New Year's Eve (they have their annual New Year's Eve bash on December 31st) and I do believe it was appreciated.

No comments:

Post a Comment